Below are resources we recommend for growth in the spiritual life for ordinary laypeople. Suggestions range from thoughtful to fun to serious. All are imbued with the Faith. This is an “in-progress” page as we mature in our own spiritual lives, so check back occasionally for new recommendations.
- A list of common Catholic prayers
- The Mission of My Life, Cardinal Newman: An encouraging prayer for those searching for their path in life, or struggling with a difficult situation.
- In Conversation with God series, Francis Fernandez, Scepter Publishers: Thought-provoking daily meditations based upon the Mass readings and liturgical seasons and brimming over with quotes from Scripture, saints and spiritual authors. The series is especially focused on helping you become a saint in ordinary life by teaching you to pray, work well, and get on with others and do apostolate.
- My Daily Bread, Father Anthony J. Paone, S.J., Confraternity of the Precious Blood: Brief daily meditations focused on guiding you through the process of growth in the spiritual life. Written in a more personal tone. Suitable for anyone on any spiritual level.
- The Way of the Cross: According to the Method of St. Francis of Assisi, Tan Books: A brief yet thought-provoking meditation on the Stations of the Cross. An excellent choice for all!
- The Seven Capital Sins, Tan Books: A short yet thorough guide on the capital sins, how they’re related, how serious they are, and remedies and safeguards against them.
- Confession: A Little Book for the Reluctant, Msgr Louis Gaston de Segur, Tan Books: An answer to all the many common objections raised about going to Confession. A source of encouragement to allay fears and help the reader better love this sacrament of mercy. The words and tone are old-fashioned but full of kindness.
- Sanctify Your Daily Life, Stefan Cardinal Wyszynski, EWTN Publishing: A profound, thorough meditation on the importance of work and the Catholic view of it written by Pope John Paul II’s mentor. Also, an answer to how to grow in virtue through work well done and deal with all the struggles such as stress, burnout, and discouragement.
- Prayer Primer, Thomas Dubay, S.M., Ignatius Press: An accessible introduction about how to pray and different types of prayer.
- Mary of Nazareth & Joseph of Nazareth, Federico Suarez, Scepter Publishers: Deep reflections rooted in the Scriptures that delve into the lives of Mary and Joseph, their characters, struggles, and vocations. Excellent books to help you better relate to Mary and Joseph.
- Ablaze: Stories of Daring Teen Saints,Colleen Swaim, Liguori Publications: Inspiring stories about teenagers who became saints.
- No Turning Back, Fr. Calloway, Marian Press: An engaging, powerful, modern conversion story. An immense testament to God’s mercy and the truth that everyone is called to be a saint, no matter how far they’ve fallen.
- Clamavi de Profundis: A family of musicians dedicated to recording uplifting music based upon fantasy literature (e.g. Tolkien’s Lord of the Rings), traditional Catholic pieces, cinematic songs, and historical ballads. They also compose their own pieces.
- Matt Maher: Faith-filled contemporary music from a well-known Catholic artist. YouTube | Website
- Danielle Rose: Another contemporary Catholic artist dedicated to “offering the gift of music as a means of alleviating spiritual poverty.” Youtube | Website
- Benedictines of Mary, Queen of Apostles: Traditional religious music from a cloistered order of nuns.
- Dominican Sisters of Mary, Mother of the Eucharist: Another resource for traditional religious pieces.
- Discerning Hearts: “Catholic podcasts (over 3,000+) dedicated to those on the spiritual journey.” Some featured categories include Spiritual Formation, Catholic Prayers and Devotions, and the Study of Sacred Scripture. A solid resource for those looking to dive deep into specific spiritual topics.
- Ascension Presents: A YouTube channel with Faith-related videos that show the “truth and beauty of the Catholic faith.” Presenters include Fr. Mike Schmitz, Matt Fradd, Dr. Edward Sri, and many others.
- Catholic Answers: Look here if you have a question about Catholicism, or want to take a deep dive into a Faith-related topic.
- SQPN: The Star Quest Production Network produces several fun, creative podcasts about pop culture, technology, TV shows, and more from a Catholic perspective.
- Word on Fire Catholic Ministries with Bishop Robert Barron: Engaging videos, podcasts, articles, books, and other media about Catholic Faith and Tradition.
- Universal Catholic Media: Videos with Catholic prayers and songs.
- Hallow: An app with prayers and meditations that you can listen to and follow along with, including the Rosary, the Examen, Lectio Divina, and more. (Some features require a paid subscription.)
- Laudate: A free Catholic app with daily readings, prayers, and links to lots of other resources such as different translations of the Bible. Android | iPhone
- Truth & Life: A Catholic Bible app that also includes daily readings and other prayers. They also offer an audio production of the New Testament for purchase.